FW: encrypt passwords=no, security=yes, samba 2.2.8, W2K user aut h fails

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Apr 1 14:03:08 GMT 2003

Hi Tony,
Another workaround would be to populate an smbpasswd file with all the names

from your /etc/passwd file.
But I realize this can be onerous.  Samba has a script to help with this,
mksmbpasswd.sh
since you won't be needing passwords from this smbpasswd file, this would do
it for you, I think....  if your distribution doesn't install this script,
it
can be found in the source at /usr/local/samba/source/script/mksmbpasswd.sh

useage:

cat /etc/passwd|./mksmbpasswd.sh >/usr/local/samba/var/private/smbpasswd

Hope this helps
Don