Samba for VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Sep 30 11:29:00 GMT 2002

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> I notice that the latest Samba for VMS (2.2.4) says that it requires
> TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS (possibly means the old UCX).
>
> The older version of Samba for VMS was able to work with several other
> TCP/IP packages, esp those with UCX emulation.

In reality only those with UCX emulation.  SAMBA actually just uses the
standard socket library, and on OpenVMS the standard socket library uses
the equivalent of dlsymbol() pull in the actual TCP/IP routines.

> Does anyone know if the current version can work with other versions as
> well? Like Multinet, TCPWARE, etc

While it would require a formal test to insure compliance, Multinet and
TCPWARE provide the HP/Compaq TCPIP API and try to maintain binary
compatability.

The author of the 2.2.4 port has not volunteered much information on
their port to the samba-vms mailing list other than an FTP location.

I have not had a chance to look it over the source.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only