Groups in ldap and /etc/group?

Mike Brady mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Mon Sep 30 06:58:01 GMT 2002

Eddie

Again it depends on how you want to manage things.

There is no requirment that a user and group of the same name exits.  I seem
to remember reading somewhere that this is a ReHat thing.  Basically the
users group can be what ever you want it to be to meet how you want to manage
your security.

For my test setup I haven't moved the existing Unix groups to LDAP, but for a
production environment I probably would.

If you change a users Unix group make sure that you change the users
files/directory ownerships/permissions to match.

Mike