NT password change through smblib

balagurumoorthy shanmuganathan balagurumoorthys at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 28 13:24:01 GMT 2002

--- Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> balagurumoorthy shanmuganathan wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >         I am using smblib 0.50. I have a NT PDC. I
> would
> > like to change the password form Linuxbox running
> > webserver. I tried using the test program.
> > It works with admin password. But does not work
> with
> > normal user password. The programe test_password
> > returns 2466 status when tried to change the
> password.
> >
> > The status is returned by
> SMBapi_NetUserPasswordSet
> > function call. Please advice if any thing else to
> be
> > done.
>
> Use pam_winbind and winbindd.  I use it with the
> Authen::PAM perl module
> to great effect.  (Assumes you mean a user changing
> their own password).
>
> Andrew Bartlett
>
> --
> Andrew Bartlett
> abartlet at pcug.org.au
> Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team
> abartlet at samba.org
> Student Network Administrator, Hawker College
> abartlet at hawkerc.net
> http://samba.org     http://build.samba.org
http://hawkerc.net

Thanks for you reply.

I will try to use winbindd.

Also, I would like to provide a web-interface using
for changing the smb password. Hence if i could
combine the user changing their own password,it will
reduce the administration efforts. Is there a way to
incorporate winbindd in a client program and
authenticate with NT based PDC.

Thanks in advance,
Balagurumoorthy.S