Using winbind with Wine

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Sep 26 22:20:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 01:47:38PM +0200, Martin Wilck wrote:

> To initiate this process we'd "only" need a standardized protocol for
> the socket communication. Andrew said that doesn't exist and won't with
> regard to winbind. I'd like to focus the discussion in this direction.
>
>  - is the winbind team willing to standardize the protocol, or at least
>    ensure backward compatibility in future versions?

There is a LGPL client library (well library is probably doing it more
justice than it deserves) called wb_client.c which is used in the
NSS modules that talk to winbindd.  I would think that would be a
preferable way of talking to winbindd rather then rewriting code
to talk the winbindd protocol.

>  - is the winbind team willing to add more RPC calls to the interface?

Not unless they are related to authentication or user/group enumeration.

> "winebind" would be linked against Samba libraries, and therefore be GPL
> from the start.

Heh - cute name.  (-:

Tim.