Future plans for next alpha release

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Sep 26 20:30:02 GMT 2002

Folks,

With the release of 3.0alpha20, I'm declaring the official
maintainence of the SAMBA_3_0 cvs branch.  WHat this means
is that there will be no more blind "copy HEAD onto SAMBA_3_0"
for the next alpha.  Any bugs fixes into HEAD should also be fixed
in SAMBA_3_0.  Developers are responsible for their own code.
If you have a question about whether or not something should be
merged, feel free to ask on this list.

I've also updated the 3.0 roadmap on Samba .org to include
plans for the next alpha release.  One goal is to get the packaging
in order to produce RPMs for the next snapshot.  If anyone else wants
to step up to the plate and offer another item up as well, feel free.
Possibilities include

  * make sure that smb.conf is updated.
  * have "net rpc vampire" functioning
  * ....anything else on the roadmap.

This list will help to determine when the next alpha will go out
so let's be reasonable and try to keep the snapshots on a regular
basis.  People might also want to consider committing to have a
feature done by alpha XX for longer jobs.  I'm not focusing on
specific dates here, only feature lists.

We'll see how this approach goes.  If people find it intrusive,
we'll try something else to keep the momentum going.

In addition to continue coding, we need to start looking at what
needs to be polished for release.  This may eat time from some
of the fun coding everyone's been doing, but is going to
be necessary if 3.0 is ever to see the light of day.

cheers, jerry
 "SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours" 2ed.       ISBN 0-672-32269-2