Using winbind with Wine

Martin Wilck Martin.Wilck at Fujitsu-Siemens.com
Wed Sep 25 13:05:00 GMT 2002

Am Mit, 2002-09-25 um 00.55 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:

> Firstly, it's good to see that winbind is starting to get some interest
> :-)

I have been ignoring it so far, but in the context of the current
inquiries I tried it out and was impressed :-)

> Secondly, don't fall into the trap squid (with my encouragement I might
> add...) fell into - don't use the winbind pipe directly.  The winbind
> API is an internal Samba API, and can change without warning.

Hmm - what other APIs are there?

The only libraries that are accessible are nss_winbind and pam_winbind.
Those two already carry us a long way, BUT ...

I started thinking about other options when I found the "wbinfo -n"
call. AFAIK there is no way to obtain equivalent info through PAM/NSS,
simply because these APIs have no concept of a SID. Obviously apart from
the SID there is a lot more information to gather from a PDC. I have not
digged deeply enough into this to be able to enumerate everything, but
think of the different GetUserInfo() calls on NT.

libsmbclient can't be used by wine because it's GPL. And even if we
could use it, it's headers only define calls related to shares and
printing, which is not what I'm currently aiming at.

> As to unicode, I
> have designated one call as being in utf8, to cope with external
> interaction, so it's possible things can happen here.

What matters to wine is that if a call goes like this:

Windows app <-> wine <-> PAM or other API <-> winbind <-> RPC <-> Windows server,

we must ensure that the Unicode string wine receives from the app
reaches the server ungarbled.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck                Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers   Fax:   +49 5251 8 20409