[Samba] Solve of problem "network disks - lost connection under w2k and wxp"

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Sep 17 22:22:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 09:15:43PM +0000, jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
:
> Ah. Now I think I get it ......
>
> The new Microsoft redirectors use the "feature" of Microsoft SMB
> implementations that SessionSetup SMB with the VC number set to 0
> should terminate all previous sessions from the same client,
> they don't bother to send a Logoff command any more.

The assumption being that the client would not send a second SessionSetup
with VC=0 unless it had crashed and was starting up again.

> We can change Samba to send all connected SMB's a "disconnect"
> message when we get a new VC=0 SessionSetup to fix this I think.
>
> I will investigate further.
>
> Jeremy.

Andrew Bartlett, I think it was, found a KB article a while ago stating
that Microsoft were disabling the disconnect-on-new-VC=0 behavior via a
hotfix or in the latest service pack.  It turned out that Windows clients
behind a NAT were causing each other's sessions to terminate.  The first
client would connect (VC=0, IP=NAT_Addr)  and would be fine until the next
client connected (VC=0, IP=NAT_Addr again).  The second connection would
cause the server (on the other side of the NAT) to believe that the
existing connections (from the first client) were no longer valid.

Chris -)-----