VFS Virus Scanner idea...

Mathew McKernan mathewmckernan at optushome.com.au
Tue Sep 17 10:00:01 GMT 2002

Hi all,

You may also like to know that not all client software scans network access
files by default. For example in InnoculateIT and VET by Computer
Associates, the resident scanner does not scan files off the server. You
must disable that "feature" if you want to scan files that you access over
the LAN. Basically CA guesses that all servers have anti virus software on
them and that they check the files before clients get it. We did have anti
virus software on our 2000 PDC until it started to cause _major_ problems
with our database system (Informix UniVerse).

Thanks

Mathew McKernan
Linux and Security Administrator
IT Services Department