VFS Virus Scanner idea...

Rainer Link rainer at openantivirus.org
Tue Sep 17 07:54:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:47:58PM -0400, bdavids1 at gmu.edu wrote:

> Point #2 - Server side anti-virus is a good thing, but is not a
> substitute for client side anti-virus.  Don't think for a moment that
> you're safe from viruses because your server is running AV software.

I'm a friend of the client-server based virus protection approach,
that's one of the main reasons why I wrote samba-vscan (which I actually
don't need on my own, as I don't have any windows clients at all). And,
uhm, virus scanning has never a detection rate of 100%.

> Point #3 - In some ways I think server side anti-virus is pointless.
> It does prevent the sharing of viruses through the server, which is
> where it *is* useful.  At the same time, if the goal is to prevent
> viruses from wiping out the data you have on your servers, server side
> AV doesn't protect you.  Any connected workstation can get infected
> with a virus that deletes every server based file it has authorization
> to delete.  Thus the server side AV only gives the illusion of
> protection.

Hum, client-based av software won't help here in all cases (think of a
new virus). One big part of anti-virus strateg must be backups :) [which
does not mean backups are only needed because of viruses - data loss
because of hardware failure or by mistake are much more frequent].
Another important part is user education, but this is beyond the scope
of this mailing list.

best regards,
Rainer Link