Baseline build project progress.

Max TenEyck Woodbury mtew at cds.duke.edu
Fri Sep 13 15:38:01 GMT 2002

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
>
>> Once I've got the process down pat, I'd like to make a few changes in
>> the packaging for Red Hat linux distributions. I intend to make the
>> packages generated one-for-one replacements for the original Red Hat
>> packages. With the understanding that I'll be doing the work, does
>> anybody have violent objections with my continuing with this project?
>
> I know we started this conversation, but did we finish it?
>
> cheers, jerry

I don't think we did. I believe the ball is still in my court awaiting
specific suggestions from me. My specific plans at this point are:

1) Do a build on a virgin RH 7.2 system to identify which additional packages
   need to be installed. I've sent a message to Andrew Bartlett but he may
   or may not have gotten the message or his messages may not have gotten back
   to me. I've been having a little trouble with mail connectivity. My old
   address at cds.duke.edu still works but may go away shortly (i.e. in the
   next month or so) but I'm still getting used to my adsl.duke.edu connection.
   (I've misspelled it asdl too many times for me to count.)

2) Install the extra packages and use that information to update the
   'build-requires' section of the extant .spec files.

3) Grab the 'rawhide' source kit from Red Hat, install that temporarily and
   identify the differences between it and the corresponding kit from samba.org.

4) Build a .spec file and patches that are specific for Red Hat distributions
   and submit them to the Team for discussion.

Meanwhile, I've been putting up a few more machines under VMWare to do builds
for other distributions starting with a fully patched 7.2 system. I expect that
I'll add a virgin 7.3 and a patched 7.3 system next. I'll need to set up the
system so I can continue to use it for normal work and still do the builds in
the background.

So I need something from Andrew to establish two way communication. I'll
probably need a bit of help to get this going right.

max at mtew.adsl.duke.edu