VFS Virus Scanner idea...

bdavids1 at gmu.edu bdavids1 at gmu.edu
Thu Sep 12 19:43:00 GMT 2002

I manage some NetWare servers.  Yes, there is such software.  It uses
the File System Event Services API Novell has.  Just hooks into every
write, or every read & every write (depending on how you configure anti-
virus software).

There are some gotchas when it comes to server based anti-virus.
Assuming you have up to date virus definitions, the server will not
allow a virus to be written to the server.  An infected workstation
still may create lots of problems for you though.  Lovebug on high end
workstations produced about 5000 packets per second to the fileserver
(scanning directories for files it could infect).

Viruses that delete files or overwrite them with nulls are still able
to execute on unprotected workstations, and can destroy data stored on
a fileserver.  There is no way for a server to detect the difference
between a well intentioned delete request and a malicious one.

I think there may already be some Linux Anti-Virus that works in this
way.  I'm not too sure, as we're a Novell shop.

Brian Davidson
George Mason University