Solaris fcntl bug 4700402 at the University of Queensland

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Sep 11 17:10:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
> > Oh thank goodness for that, I was worried when I saw the
> > other message about the fix being --with-spinlocks as
> > that's not a good solution.
> >
> > We can't hold back 2.2.6 for this unfortunately, we'll
> > have to put something in the release notes about it -
> > any chance of getting the patchid pre-allocated so we
> > know what it will be ?
>
> 	I don't know if that's doable, but I'll try:
> 	with your permission I'll quote your last paragraph
> 	in the request.

Knowing patch numbers now might actually be counter-productive.  Let me
explain.

Rather than:
   "<desciption of state of play>
    Known Sun patches at time or writing will be (or are):
        888000-01 for Solaris 8
        888001-01 for Solaris 8_x86
        999000-01 for Solaris 9
        999001-01 for Solaris 9_x86

something like:
   "<desciption of state of play>
    You are encouraged to monitor
       http://www.samba.org/<something-or-other>
    for developments.

The former looks un-future-proof.

By contrast the latter could be set up at 2.2.6 code-freeze (now?), and
would remain accurate for the lifetime of whatever versions of Solaris are
affected and addressed.

Remember, too, that Sun sometimes make one patch obsolete and roll its
functionality into another.  Or, conversely, break out part of a patch
into a separate patch.  Things like this would invalidate the "frozen"
Samba release notes.

My suggestion would simply need a suitable Sun-related volunteer (are we
thinking Dave C-B here?!) to provide occasional updates behind that URL.