'hostname lookups' in Samba HEAD

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sun Sep 8 21:22:00 GMT 2002

After a bit of research, I've uncovered the new 'hostname lookups' option
in Samba HEAD.  I understand the value of being able to configure this
setting, and of having it default to 'no' to conserve resources; however,
this setting also (unnecessarily, IMHO) breaks the config of anyone using
hostname-based access lists on upgrade.

Would it be acceptable to add a 'hostname lookups = auto' option as the
default, which checks the 'hosts allow' and 'hosts deny' lists for
hostname tokens, and makes its decision based on these other two config
options?  Having hostname lookups unexpectedly turned off can not only
block access from legitimate users, it can also be a security hole.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer