lp_sam_backends() syntax

jelmer at dp.samba.org jelmer at dp.samba.org
Sat Sep 7 21:55:01 GMT 2002

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 11:50:29PM +0200, Kai Krueger wrote:
> > otherwise:
> >
> > sam backends = backend1:options|domain_name1 \
> > backend2:options|domain_name2
>
> I'm against haveing domain_name as the last part of the string, because if
> domain_name it is the last part with a '|' seperator, then there may not be
> a '|' in the string before. This causes a restriction on options I don't
> like. The other posibility to use the last '|' in the string is imho not
> nice either, as this would mean, you can't obmit the domain name anymore as
> soon as there is a | in the options string.
> This would cause a dependency of the syntax of sam backend on the options
> stirng, which is imho confusing
I don't think it would be really useful to have the possibility to omit the
last domain name. Especially since currently there are no situations in which
we would have to use multiple domains. It's not worth to break backwards
compatibility to do that.

Imho, we should make the backend name, domain name, and options mandatory
when multiple domains are specified. The options field then can contain a
| because we can search backwards for the |; this only means that the domain
name can't contain a |, which would be the case anyway.

Jelmer