GSSAPI Kerberos mechanism

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Sep 6 05:13:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I think that this document is close to defining the format of KRB5
requests in GSSAPI/SPNEGO

draft-ietf-cat-iakerb-04.txt

It says that this is the format:

 InitialContextToken ::=
   [APPLICATION 0] IMPLICIT SEQUENCE {
           thisMech        MechType
                   -- MechType is OBJECT IDENTIFIER
                   -- representing "Kerberos V5"
           innerContextToken ANY DEFINED BY thisMech
                   -- contents mechanism-specific;
                   -- ASN.1 usage within innerContextToken
                   -- is not required

and that:

 The innerContextToken consists of a 2-byte TOK_ID field (defined below),
followed by the Kerberos V5 KRB-AS-REQ, KRB-AS-REP, KRB-TGS-REQ, or
KRB-TGS-REP messages, as appropriate. The TOK_ID field shall be one of the
following values, to denote that the message is either a request to the
KDC or a response from the KDC.

Message         TOK_ID
   KRB-KDC-REQ      00 03
   KRB-KDC-REP      01 03

This is very close to what we see. The actual TOK_IDs seem to be:

   KRB-KDC-REQ  0x0001
   KRB-KDC-REP  0x0002
   KRB-ERROR    0x0003

Regards