Samba recursion slowness.

Sean O'Malley omalleys at eclipse.cl.msu.edu
Thu Sep 5 15:23:00 GMT 2002

My apologies if this is the wrong list, but I have been through all the
docs, and perused the source code and cannot find the answer.

We are running Samba on AFS -> SMB on Solaris gateway boxen.
When you try to view a directory with 1k-4k subdirectories, both Win2k and
MacOS X (built-in SMB stuff), seem to choke on it for a long length
of time because it is recursing through all the subdirectories.
(it is like the difference with using smbclient with the recurse option on
and off) IE .5 seconds to get an ls, 5 minutes to get an ls with recurse
on.

My question is this. Is there an option, hack or anything that can be
done, so the client can't GET the recursed information? or get some faked
information especially pertaining to certain directories?

I cannot change the directory structure.

We are using Samba 2.2.3a with a special hack to allow for our user
directory structure ie for the account omalleys it would be
homes/o/m/omalleys.

Sean