System documentation of Samba

Johannes Tyve Johannes.Tyve at sgu.se
Thu Sep 5 07:03:00 GMT 2002

One of our servers crashed and when we booted it again one Samba process
hung and grabbed one of the servers cpu's. When we killed the samba
process, another process generated 100% load on one cpu. From the log
file:

smbd/open.c:open_mode_check(555)
  open_mode_check: exlusive oplock left by process 23227 after break ! For
file
profile/.../office.file.doc, dev = 900, inode = 2704003. Deleting it to
continue...
lib/util.c:smb_panic(1055)
  PANIC: open_mode_check: Existant process 23227 left active oplock.

We tried to disable oplocks but no luck. After some more testing we
deleted all files in /var/opt/samba/lock (brlock.tdb       connections.tdb
 messages.tdb     ntdrivers.tdb    ntprinters.tdb   share_info.tdb
unexpected.tdb browse.dat       locking.tdb      ntforms.tdb printing.tdb
) and restarted samba. This time it worked fine.

Is there som information about the tdb file and the inner structures of
Samba? What do we lose if we delete the diffrent tdb files?

We are using Samba 2.2.2

Regards,
Johannes

SGU - Sveriges Geologiska Undersökning