namecache redesign

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Sun Sep 1 14:39:00 GMT 2002

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 08:43:55AM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Ahh.  I didn't realize that you wanted a persistent cache, though I'm a
> bit concerned with the idea of caching NBT name resolution long-term.  A
> local NBT name cache should last only a few minutes.  Sure, it might be

Chris, the netbios name cache is 660 seconds (which is the default in
Windows) for all names except #1c and #1b that are cached for 15
seconds.  I have since found out by running nbtstat a lot that Windows caches
these for 10 seconds.

Tridge, what do you think about having a timestamp in as part of the
cache structure?  The netbios name cache needs it and perhaps there is
other information we may want to cache on a time basis.  Use t = 0 for
permanent entries.

> nice to have some name resolution if the NBNS is down but with NBT things
> can change pretty quickly.  I'm thinking about things like the LMB name.
> At startup, if the LMB name is in the cache will smbd use that mapping or

nmbd doesn't use the netbios name cache because I was pretty sure that
there would be some difficult to track down bugs due to some weird nmbd
internals that I don't understand.  (-:

Tim.