CIFS woes (fwd)

Paul D. Robertson proberts at patriot.net
Thu Oct 31 02:07:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

(If this isn't the right venue, can someone please cluebat me off-list and
point me to the right place?)

I need to set up a server that allows chmod/chown stuff, so I'm using the
CIFS code.  I've got a server set up using Samba 2.2.5, and it mounts from
the local machine as a CIFS filesystem.  Here's my issue- I can't execute
a binary file if it's on the share.  Doesn't mater if it's ELF or a.out
format, or if it's static or dynamic.

Scripts run just fine, but binaries give me:  "-bash: ./command: cannot
execute binary file" along with "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
binfmt-464c" in syslog (which means the binformat isn't recognized
AFAICT- noramlly an architecture or endian mismatch?)

I've tried compiling an executable on the CIFS filesystem, same results,
moving the binary to a local filesystem works just fine, but once it's
copied back, it won't execute, so it's not the contents of the file.

"file" on the dynamic ELF shows:

command: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I've tried calling the files with ./command as well as through the loader
with the filename as a parameter- same results either way.

MD5 sums of the binary show identical if on the share or if on a local
filesystem.

System is Linux, x86 with kernel 2.4.19 and the latest cifs client stuff
as of a week or so ago.  Server and client are running on the same system
during testing, and the base system is RH8 other than the kernel with all
the UTF8 fun that entails.

Any ideas/pointers/clues would be most helpful at this point.

Thanks,

Paul