RPC message service?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Oct 30 02:29:00 GMT 2002

Gareth Davies wrote:
> [...]

When it is coming from any major U.S. ISP, a copy of the firewall logs,
along with the time and timezone e-mailed to the abuse@ and the
security@ seems to stop it for a while.

>>I'm guessing that they're doing something RPC-related that has, basically,
>>the same effect.  I'm just curious to know what it is...
>
> <snip>
>
> They are they are using Windows messenger..
>
> net send <ip address> "message goes here"

It looks like the author of the spamware issued a press release and
conned a bunch of reporters into giving them free advertising.

I have not followed the latest link, but they are hawking the spamware
for between $300 U.S.D. and $700 a copy.

There was also a report that someone was offering $2000 U.S.D for a
program to send such spam.

Here is a great opportunity for Samba Developer's, especially published
authors to get their name in print while delivering a clue to these
reporters about what the real story is.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only