Solaris/Samba logon slowness

Len Laughridge llaughridge at kitchenandassociates.com
Tue Oct 29 17:13:22 GMT 2002

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 11:50, Andy Bakun wrote:
> > 1.  WinXP logon/logoff is unbearably, excruciatingly, painfully, s*l*o*w.
> > take upwards of 10 minutes for some users.  In the process, users either
> > get impatient and forcibly power off their machines/undock their
> > notebooks, which leads to data corruption and damaged profiles.
> > Sometimes, minutes into the process, a '...could not update your
> > [local|roaming] profile...' message will appear.  Is there *anything*
> > that can be done to help with this in the short run?  (Not using Windows
> > would be the best, but it's not an option.)
>
> Verify that IE's cache isn't being stored in the user's profile.
> may want to "delete all offline content" first, it goes much faster then
> (at least with IE5.5).
>
> Andy.

Andy - Thanks, will look into it, but I have an ntconfig.pol file set with
policies to do that automatically.  Although....  the ntconfig.pol is an
NT/2K carryover that isn't 100% supported on XP, so maybe it's slipping
through...

--
Len Laughridge, Director of Information Technology
Kitchen & Associates Architectural Services, PA