Samba PDCs/BDCs and Trusts WAS: auth to two diff PDCs? (succe ss, sort of)

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Oct 29 17:02:09 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:10:22AM -0500, Collins, Kevin wrote:
> Steven Langasek wrote:
> > Having one PDC and two BDCs also gives you greater
> > fault-tolerance than
> > having three domains with a single PDC each.

> > Samba+LDAP can give you this fault tolerance; it can't give you trust
> > relationships today, without a lot of finagling.

> > Steve Langasek
> > postmodern programmer

> I understand the role of/need for the BDC, I'm just concerned about
> flooding the WAN connections with replication traffic and not being able
> to send things like e-mail or project files.  I can control the
> replication in NT, but I need to know if I can do the same in SAMBA.
> With all the "tweaks" god knows there should be. :-)

The only "pre-packaged" BDC implementation for Samba that I know of is
based on LDAP.  With LDAP, only changes are replicated across the link,
so you have no excess traffic associated with keeping the DCs in sync.
Samba sorta skipped over the NT4 technology and went straight to an
ActiveDirectory approach to management... :)

> I've thought about the LDAP course too but haven't given it enough
> serious thought yet.  You know of a good HOWTO?

There is a Samba-PDC-LDAP HOWTO included with the Samba documentation.
You can also find Ignacio Coupeau's step-by-step guide at
<http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/ldap-smb-2_2-howto.html>.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer