Solaris/Samba logon slowness

Len Laughridge llaughridge at kitchenandassociates.com
Tue Oct 29 15:53:17 GMT 2002

Hello:

I've been following the thread about oplocks recently, and have been waiting
for more info on the (now dormant) thread about Solaris fcntl() issues.

My server is a Sun E-250, 2x400MHz, 1-Gig RAM, lots of storage, samba 2.2.5

1.  WinXP logon/logoff is unbearably, excruciatingly, painfully, s*l*o*w.
upwards of 10 minutes for some users.  In the process, users either get
impatient and forcibly power off their machines/undock their notebooks, which
leads to data corruption and damaged profiles.  Sometimes, minutes into the
process, a '...could not update your [local|roaming] profile...' message will
appear.  Is there *anything* that can be done to help with this in the short
run?  (Not using Windows would be the best, but it's not an option.)

2.  I may upgrade to 2.2.6 tonight.  Is there anything special I should do
besides ./configure && make && make install which could remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance.  I can post my smb.conf if needed, but I'll save the
bandwidth until it's requested.

--
Len Laughridge, Director of Information Technology
Kitchen & Associates Architectural Services, PA