[Samba] auth to two diff PDCs? (success, sort of)

Mathew McKernan mathewmckernan at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 28 07:39:01 GMT 2002

Hi Matthew,

Andrew is talking about domain trusts here. When the client asks for a
connection to a share or the samba server itself, the samba daemon will
check if the user is valid to the PDC. Domain trusts enable 2 domains to
"know" each others users.

However in some cases this is dangerous, in my situation at work, we have 2
LANs (physically seperate) and have seperate NT Domains for that reason.
However we wanted to allow staff to logon to either domain but have access
to their home drive. To solve this we ran 2 copies of samba (installed to
different locations) and each copy is a member of the domain they are to
serve. Then using the "interfaces" config option in smb.conf we force each
copy of samba to bind to the LAN it serves.

In your case it sounds as if you are running one LAN but with 2 domains that
don't trust each other. Either establish a trust between the two LANs, or
use the method above. You will need to set the name differently for each
copy of Samba, using "netbios name" in smb.conf, or you will get conflicts.

Thanks

Mathew