[Samba] libsmbclient in Mac OS X / Darwin

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Oct 27 03:35:00 GMT 2002

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Luis Muñoz wrote:
> >
> > Actually, I don't think this is helpful.
> >
> > smbd fails when trying to service a non-root user because it cannot change
> > its credentials back and forth. Unfortunately, I have very little time to
> > help make this run in Mac OS X. Do you have any suggestion?
>
> Without access to OSX test hardware, no.  But Apple does ship Samba, so
> it must work somehow...

Ah, but it is not complete. SWAT is there, but none of the files from
/usr/share/swat are on the system. SWAT is not enabled in inetd.conf. OSX
does not use /etc/passwd as a Unix user would expect. Essentially, Apple
do a minimal share arrangement with samba. Have fun trying to make it all
work. ;)

PS: I do not have a MAc with OSX, this info was gleaned from trying to
help someone get samba working properly. We got SWAT working by copying
all the /usr/share/swat stuff off a Linux system. But the rest - could do
with a bit of work. It would be good if we can work with Apple to get the
wrinkles ironed out.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra