SMBFS workarounds

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Thu Oct 24 23:38:00 GMT 2002

Rashkae wrote:
> Well, yes, I see your point about smbfs mounting the file system in single
> user, but I see soooo many ways to quickly get around that....
>
> Assuming your passwords are stored in properly read protected files, why
> could you not configure smbfs to mount the file system somewhere in the
> users home directory with the proper username/password for the user when
> he/she logs in?  I agree that this would be a pain to set up and far from
> ideal,, but smbsh is really not nearly good enough, (IMNSHO) for actually
> sharing a network file system.
If you want to do this, have a look at my page here
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/smbfs/index.html

Here you will find tools to mount users home directories using smbfs AND
I have implemented the UNIX extensions so you can have unix(like) semantics.

--
Information Technology Innovation Group
Swinburne University. Melbourne, Australia