[Samba] OpLock+flat DB corruption (Was: How Samba let us down)

Chris de Vidal cdevidal at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 13:46:05 GMT 2002

--- "Bradley W. Langhorst" <brad at langhorst.com> wrote:
> the oplock problem with access databases is well
> known...
> I don't think samba alone can fix it.
> (somebody prove me wrong :)

Samba alone probably cannot fix it.  I have since
learned it can also be a problem on NT.  Jeremy says,
"file corruption is a drop everything - priority 1
bug," so...

A. If its well known, I didn't see it in the manpages,
online, or offline docs.
B. If its well known and unfixable, it ought to be
disabled by default if preventing file corruption is
really more important than performance.
C. We're not using Access, but large flat databases.
D. We don't have multiple users, but multiple
processes on multiple servers, so
E. If someone had put "Access has a problem with
OpLocks" in the docs, it is doubtful we would have
considered it at first.

The problem is NOT JUST Access, but apparently any
kind of large, flat database file.

If preventing file corruption is a "drop everything -
priority 1 bug" (quoting Jeremy), it should either be
documented and/or disabled by default.  But if
performance takes priority over file corruption, at
least document it.

/dev/idal