Running smb without nmb? (Linux Suse 8.1 feature)

Goetz Rieger goetz.rieger at suse.de
Thu Oct 24 11:36:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

let me quote from /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/README.SuSE:

"Splitted init scripts
---------------------

With version 2.2.5 Samba's init scripts have been reorganized. The smb
script is split up into smb (for starting the smbd) and nmb (for starting
nmbd). So far the two services could only be started together.

If the Samba package is updated from previous versions (with the single
init script) and the service was activated, then after the update both
services will be activated to preserve the old behaviour.

rcsamba is a compatibility script which calls the smb and nmb init
script."

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:54:08 -0700
Jay Ts <jay at jayts.cx> wrote:

> > So how/why would splitting these scripts be a good thing?
>
> I think it's a matter of opinion whether or not this is better.
> Obviously, someone at SuSE thinks it is! :)

Yep, it seems so...and I think he has done a good thing.

Goetz