Consistency in parameter names?

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Thu Oct 24 03:28:19 GMT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:04:16AM +0930, Richard Sharpe wrote:

> We have:
>
>   add user script
>   add group script
>   add machine script
delete user script
logon script
magic script

> and
>
>   add share command
>   add printer command
>
> ?

I noticed it too.  Ideally, (with the exception of
logon script) I think they should all use "command" rather
than "script", because AFAIK, they all can work with
compiled programs as well as interpreted scripts. Samba
doesn't care, it just execs the command with arguments, right?
If not, I'd really like to know!

In smb.conf, it says that add printer command is for
defining a _script_ to be run, and also it says add
share command defines a "program or script". Perhaps
it would be better to use the word "command" instead.

I doubt that it's worth changing the names of the
parameters, but maybe in smb.conf(5), the description
could more clearly state that the parameters accept
_commands_ (with args) as values, and that the commands
can run binary programs or interpreted scripts.

Make sense?

Jay Ts