"write cache size" & antivirus

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Wed Oct 23 17:10:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:45:45PM +0400, Michael Smirnov wrote:
> When I use Samba with option
>    write cache size = 262144
> my antivirus monitoring programs(AVP Monitor) do not catch viruses on Samba network drive,
> but successfully catch viruses, after I delete this options and restart Samba!
>
> What's the matter?
> Anyone tried other antivirus programs with this option?

Not sure. As the author of the write cache code I can tell you
that all it does is cache writes in memory as long as possible
to reduce load on the filesystem. It isn't needed for systems
like Linux that agressively cache in the kernel anyway, but
was added for older Solaris systems using ufs (which is a
very slow filesystem).

I don't see why aggregating writes like this would affect
anti-virus systems. Maybe ask the vendor ?

Jeremy.