[Samba] How Samba let us down

James Hubbard jhubbard at mcs.uvawise.edu
Wed Oct 23 15:37:00 GMT 2002

I think everyone else has suggested that you upgrade to 2.2.6.  I too
would recommend this.  The company where I work had a Win2K box whose
print jobs would get dropped depending on how the printing was setup.
Upgrading fixed the problem.  I sent an e-mail about it about a week
ago.  If you've already got the drivers installed on the workstations
you might want to go ahead and insert the following into the printer
section.

use client driver=Yes

I believe that the mem=nopentium option is not necessary with the newer
kernels.

As far as browsing goes, you probably do want to get WINS setup and make
sure that DNS is configured correctly.  I noticed that some of the
browsing slowness issues went away when I moved from 2.2.1a to 2.2.5.  I
don't know what browsing looks like after the upgrade 2.2.6.  I only
work via ssh, since I'm away at school.  I can't actually be there to
know what it feels like.

Just my little bit of advice.

James Hubbard