How Samba let us down

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Oct 23 14:53:59 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:52:47AM -0700, Jay Ts wrote:
> If that is the case, then it's important to let the PDC handle
> both domain master browser and local master browser tasks, and
> not ever let any system steal either role away from it (or
> else bad things can happen).

I've heard this claim rather frequently, but can anyone tell me what
actually *breaks* when the PDC is not a local master browser?  The
connection between a PDC and a DMB is obvious at the protocol level, but
there is no such connection between the PDC and the LMB; indeed, our
Samba PDC is rarely the LMB for its subnet, and it's *never* caused us a
problem.  Is there actually a limitation in NT that causes brokenness if
it doesn't win the browser election, and if so, has anyone documented
what happens?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer