How Samba let us down

Mathew McKernan mathewmckernan at optushome.com.au
Wed Oct 23 09:58:01 GMT 2002

Hi Chris,

I can only comment on personal experience here, what I have commented on may
be wrong in some cases. The Samba developers may be able to comment on my
ideas.

By the look of it, the reason why it is so slow is the fact that you may not
be running a WINS Server. We had this problem with NT boxes, yes Windows
Servers. We installed a Windows NT Server to be our WINS server, it
increased the speed of the LAN dramatically. We now run the WINS Server on a
Linux box running Samba.

We have a home drive server which serves about 1800 users with 400 logged on
at one time drawing about 30MBps out of it server. This box is a Pentium 4,
512MB RAM. 400GB RAID server running Linux and Samba. We originally ran a
similar setup on Windows NT, but found it was terrible slow once connections
got over 200 users. This box is providing access using ACLs, like in your
setup.

My suggestion:
Install a WINS Server (simple 400MHz box even) running Linux, and if you
like run an internal DNS too which is syncronised to the WINS database using
the "wins hook" option in smb.conf. Point all your devices' WINS addresses
to this new WINS server. You will notice a dramatic improvement in
performance.

Thanks

Mathew