Coming round to SURS...

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba-tng.org
Tue Oct 22 23:43:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:56:46PM +0200, Simo Sorce wrote:

> ask for more hard work. Plus we have not limited ourselves to solve the
> problem locally, but to solve the problem in a distributed environment.

 yes: that was - and is - the whole point of sursswitch.

 having done the surs draft RFC, and outlining the issues
 in it, and specifically defining the problem and very
 specifically leaving the decisions up to the implementors,
 i then turned my focus onto possible implementations.

 the first actual successful SURS-compliant implementation,
 with definite limitations, is hard-coded into winbindd.

 The Plan was always to write sursswitch, with a complementary
 /etc/sursswitch.conf file, with features similar to nsswitch,
 but only offering one-to-one and onto SID <-> uid and SID <-> gid
 management.

 and making the winbindd code then be the first program to
 actually use sursswitch, followed by the second key point
 being smbd to use sursswitch, followed by the third one
 being smbrun, which spoolssd uses (or used to use).

 i hope that this both addresses your concerns and also hints
 at the scope of the work i intended (and still feel is necessary).

 l.