Coming round to SURS...

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Oct 22 21:57:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 20:02, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> i have a question for the people who sponsor the samba team.
>
> "when are you going to realise that your money is being
>  wasted by not sponsoring me as a design architect on
>  NT compatibility software suites for unix?"

Probably you should understand that people may be interested in other
features and not sponsoring this particular part of the code.

> here - yet again, another demonstration of how much money you have
> been wasting.

Well let's look at the TNG printing code status ...

> hopefully this time this "really new" proposal - i.e. yet
> ANOTHER idea and proposal introduced by me almost three years
> ago - will actually get done, and done properly.

This is NOTHING new Luke, we know the SID-[g,u]id mapping problems since
a lot of time, the fact that you formalized the problem does not change
the problem. I just double checked your draft, and it is just nice
useless wording that show the problem but does never even propose an
implementation, you always write that implementation is not in the scope
of the document.

We have not implemented what you call SURS part because of lack of time
being busy implementing other more important parts of samba, and part
because we wanted to get it right (and we tought your implementation was
not).

The api proposed by metze is just an api proposal to finally start
coding it having found a way to implement it the right way as we finally
have found what seem the right way to do it, taking in account all
limits and trying to find out the best compromise. This is the part the
ask for more hard work. Plus we have not limited ourselves to solve the
problem locally, but to solve the problem in a distributed environment.

You may claim you have told there was a problem 3 years ago. Well that's
true nobody say it different. Problem is that solving it 3 years ago was
not possible to do properly, too many pieces of code were missing or
were not stable and usable at a point that implementing it 3 years ago
would have simply be a waste of time.

with sincere esteem,
Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399