file locking question: Unix/NT environment

Jinhai Yang jyang at triant.com
Mon Oct 21 19:49:00 GMT 2002

This is follow-up to my original question, really appreciate if somebody
could give me some advises here.

What I tried to do is to implement an advisory locking scheme among both
Unix and Windows 2000 clients over Samba. The files are on a disk local to
the Unix box, the W2K clients access them through Samba.

Couple of questions:
a) is this possible? if not, what's the best way to handle file locking
involving access from both NT and Unix clients?
b) is advisory locking supported under win32? I cannot seem to find the
POSIX style fcntl(), lockf() calls under win32, have I missed something?

Thanks for any help,

Jinhai