Samba 3alpha, XP: can't login

Vadim Vygonets vadik-samba at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun Oct 20 13:54:01 GMT 2002

We run the latest Alpha with default passdb backend and auth
methods (for testing) on FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE.  All the accounts
we're talking about are in /etc/passwd and in Samba's smbpasswd
file.

A Windows XP machine that we have here can join the domain
without any problems, and its account (gx-100$) appears in both
(system & samba) password files.  The user that does the joinage
is root, and the password used is the one in smbpasswd (on this
machine I made it different from the system password for testing
purposes).  However, I haven't succeeded logging into the domain
after the joining.  The error Windows gives me is:

| Logon Message
|
| Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain
| controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your
| computer account was not found.  Please try again later.  If this
| message continues to appear, contact your system administrator
| for assistance.

In the log file I can find mentions of the machine (gx-100$) being
authenticated, but no mention of the user (vadik).  And the log
level is 10.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated, and I will gladly
provide you any info that may help solving the problem.

Thanks,
Vadik.

--
The Abrams' Principle:
	The shortest distance between two points is off the wall.