Quick, outdated share-level question.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Oct 17 21:27:01 GMT 2002

For my book...

Do I understand correctly that Samba does not offer a per-share password,
even when running under security=share?

In the original, outdated design of SMB (COREP.TXT) passwords were assigned
to shares.  I don't see a mechanism in newer Samba docs that allows for a
per-share password (though there are a lot of docs and I have been known to
lose track of the nose on my face--folks who've met me face-to-face will
find that hard to believe).  It looks as though there's a fudge in place to
make username/password pairs work instead.

I'm curious, only for documentation purposes.  If there is no share password
support I think it makes sense.  It's just that it's not what W/9x does.  :)

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org