[Samba] upgrade to 3.0alpha20: accented chars in filenames unreadable

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex at apartia.org
Thu Oct 17 07:50:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 05:03:01PM +0200, Ignacio Coupeau wrote:
> >>the samba share; and the filename is impossible to modify from windows:
> >>samba log says "file not found". From the shell the file looks like
> >>"r?sum?.xls" but the "?" are actually 0x83.
>
> In a hurry I used
> 	unix charset = "CP850"
> http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html#internationalization
>
> this solved our problems (redhat 7.2; samba-3.0a20) for example in the
> profile load on the spanish xp (ie Star menu-->menú Inicio).

Thanks for sharing this. It certainly is an excellent stopgap measure,
until proper filename conversion can be done.

The best way, if possible, would be to retain backward compatibility for
reading samba-2.2.x filenames (as with "unix charset") while having new
or modified files written in unicode (or whatever the default in
samba-3.x).

BTW: keep up the great job on your smb-ldap howto, it is a precious
ressource.

Cheers,

--
    PANOPE: Au Prince votre fils l'un donne son suffrage,
            Madame ; et de l'Etat l'autre oubliant les lois,