MSDN goodies.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Oct 17 04:02:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:33:45PM +0000, jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
> Microsoft have documented all the DOS error codes at :
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/system_error_codes.asp

Note that if you turn off Javascript (always a good idea) you can display
just the table of error codes by using the URL:

  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/debug/base/system_error_codes.asp?frame=false

> Plus here's the docs on the internal (NTDLL.DLL) API they use to
> convert from NT_STATUS to DOS error codes.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/rtlntstatustodoserror.asp

I note that this second one says:

  "Remarks
   There is no function that provides the inverse functionality of
   RtlNtStatusToDosError..."

That suggests that server-to-server communication is always expected to
use NT_STATUS codes.  See: http://ubiqx.org/cifs/figures/smb-07.html
If you had a situation that was the opposite of what is shown in the
diagram (smb-07) then the server in the middle would need to have a
mechanism for converting DOS codes to NT_STATUS codes.  That is, if you
had a PDC and a server that had negotiated DOS codes and the client wants
NT_STATUS codes, then either:
- the client would also need to make do with DOS codes, or
- the server in the middle would need to translate from DOS to NT_STATUS
  codes.

I mention all this because when I asked people about it while writing that
part of my book there were some different answers.  Fun stuff.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org