PS: smbcacl doesn't work for me

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Mon Oct 14 23:05:01 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 08:41:15AM +1000, Tim Potter wrote:

> The smbcacls program was written before anyone understood access masks
> and generic mappings properly.  The individual bitmasks are defined in
> WINNT.H if you have Visual C++.  They are all the constants starting
> with FILE_.

Now that I take a proper look these constants are also defined in smb.h.
The magic hex values defined in smbcacls are a combination of the
FILE_* specific access bits and the generic access masks and rights.

I am of the opinion that the best way to manage an ACL list is through
a GUI and not a command line program.  Sometimes you need to script
things automatically though so this is why smbcacls was written.

Tim.