Atomic RID allocation in LDAP

Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE
Sat Oct 12 15:54:31 GMT 2002

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 07:17:10PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've been thinking about the problem of allocating RIDs in LDAP.

Look at google for 'ldap atomic increment'. The second article gives some hints
on how an atomic increment might be implemented in LDAP. I have not programmed
LDAP before, but I might be tempted to try that approach. As the atomicity is
only interesting for internal samba use (others can not be forced to adhere to
any scheme), we might as well go for a mutex similar to those used when
accessing a domain controller for authentication.

Volker