smbpasswd replication

richard rcoates at bigpond.net.au
Fri Oct 11 04:17:00 GMT 2002

my first thoughts too. but to synchronise the data to and from 6 samba
servers I need to real careful...example:
rsync -au local_file 1.2.3.4:remote_file
will sync the entire contents of the file. If another user happens to
changing their password on the destination pc at this moment they get
overwritten, we have a replicated mess. I think by replicating single
user changes only at one time there is much reduced chance of trouble.
Hopefully a simple reliable system without the complication of ldap
etc.. I don't know if anyone has already tried this?
Richard.