Hint on how Win2K etc choose raw NTLMSSP vs SPNEGO

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Oct 9 04:02:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I have a trace of a client talking to a Win2K server, where the server
decides to use raw NTLMSSP, but I also have a trace of a Win2K machine
joining a WinXP domain. In the latter case, the WinXP machine decides to
use SPNEGO, not raw NTLMSSP.

The only difference I can see is in the list of protocols offered in the
NegProt. In all the examples I have looked at, it looks like Win2K and
above choose raw NTLMSSP if they are offered only one dialect, NT LM 0.12.
However, if they are offered more than one dialect, they seem to choose
SPNEGO. Guess I will have to check tomorrow.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,
sharpe at ethereal.com, http://www.richardsharpe.com