PS: smbcacl doesn't work for me

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Oct 4 16:58:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:48:55PM +0200, Zoltan Bogdan wrote:
> Am Don, 2002-10-03 um 23.43 schrieb Zoltan Bogdan:

>     Hi,
>     I share an XFS-volume via samba 2.2.4.

>     fetching the acls works like the following for me:

>     --------------------------------------------
>     hermes:/secrets # smbcacls //hermes/xfs-share test -U TOGO/hzbogdan
>     Password:
>     REVISION:1
>     OWNER:TOGO\hzbogdan
>     GROUP:TOGO\users
>     ACL:TOGO\hzbogdan:ALLOWED//RW
>     ACL:TOGO\users:ALLOWED//R
>     ACL:\Everyone:ALLOWED//R

>     When I try to set - or rather modify - the Acl for the group
>     "users", I get strange results:

>     hermes:/secrets # smbcacls //hermes/xfs-share test -U TOGO/hzbogdan
>     -M ACL:TOGO\users:0/0/W
>     Password:
>     Failed to parse ACL ACL:TOGOusers
>     --------------------------------------------

>     Using various substitutions for type/flags/mask Values didn't get
>     better results.

>     Could someone provide some help?

You haven't escaped your strings to make them shell-safe.  The shell eats
the backslash, and smbcacls only sees 'ACL:TOGOusers' instead of
'ACL:TOGO\users'.

I also don't know for sure if names in ACLs are supported by smbcacls in
2.2.  If so, you definitely need to handle that backslash:

  smbcacls //hermes/xfs-share test -U TOGO/hzbogdan -M ACL:TOGO\\users:0/0/W

or

  smbcacls //hermes/xfs-share test -U TOGO/hzbogdan -M 'ACL:TOGO\users:0/0/W'

HTH,

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer