smbclient bug in 2.2.5

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Oct 2 16:28:31 GMT 2002

I think I've found a bug in the smbclient program in 2.2.5.  Smbclient
hard-codes the name_type to 0x20 (File Server) for all netbios queries,
but calling 'smbclient -M machine' should use a name_type of 0x03
(Messenger) instead.

When sending a message to a machine, it is not necessary for the machine
to be running file sharing.  Our client machines have file sharing turned
off and do not register 0x20 with the WINS server.  I'm not sure when this
behavior changed, but the smbclient program from samba 2.0.10 works
correctly.

Thanks,
	Andy