Samba 3.0 Alpha 21 cvs + LDAP

Dennis Lattka dlattka at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Oct 2 15:37:40 GMT 2002

I can't get smbd to bind with the LDAP server to authenticate.

Configured using the following:

./configure  --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var
--with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-fhs --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat
--enable-cups --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass --with-ldapsam --with-syslog
--with-acl-support

testparm show the following:

 testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[home]"
Loaded services file OK.

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = AVLSI
    netbios name = DEVEL
    netbios aliases = Devel
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    smb passwd file =
    passdb backend = ldapsam, ldap://ldap.example.com
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/sbin/ldappasswd
    unix password sync = Yes
    lanman auth = No
    log level = 3
    syslog = 3
    log file = /var/log/samba
    name resolve order = dns wins bcast
    time server = Yes
    logon path = \\home\home\user\%U\WINDOWS
    logon drive = U:
    logon home = \\home\home\user\%U
    domain logons = Yes
    domain master = True
    dns proxy = No
    wins support = Yes
    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
    ldap machine suffix = ou=System,dc=example,dc=com
    ldap user suffix = ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
    ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
    ldap ssl = start tls
    ldap passwd sync = Yes
    oplocks = No
    level2 oplocks = No

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No

[home]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /home/
    guest ok = Yes
    hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/255.255.0.0

I've run smbpasswd -w password which works and then tried smbpasswd root
with the following message:

 smbpasswd root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to find entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root

also setting the logging to 0 or 1 or 3 seems to make no difference. I
must be missing some little detail here because others appear to be able
to set this up. Please help. Thank you.

Dennis