implementing a new smbd vfs

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Wed Oct 2 04:41:01 GMT 2002

Hi Rafi,

to touch the code in source/smbd is bad ! Try to make a vfs module!
take a look at examples/VFS a vfs module can be load at run time and can be
specify for each share. the functions of the module are overloading the
default vfs functions.

I have not really take a look at what your code does, I'm a bit busy :-(
But I will the next days.

metze
At 19:57 01.10.2002 +0200, Rafi Yanai wrote:
>hi Stefan,
>
>I packed the file I changed in source/smbd.
>the code is not documented (yet) so here is a few notes:
>
>1) you can use the cdcatalog.c to create a binary that will catalog a given
>directory to a file named cd.index.
>2) the file contains all the file and directory information for that
>location and it should be copied into a sub directory (this directory name
>must be a number) in the server cache directory that is defined in
>CHANGER_PATH
>4) you must share CHANGER_PATH in your smb.conf file
>3) in the vfswrap.c functions there is a check if the file belong to the
>CHANGER_PATH, and if true than the function from vfs-changer.c is called.
>4) the function basically bring the cached information from the cd.index
>file except vfs_open which uses a very simple API that must be implemented
>by the files provider:
>     i) get_file() copy the requested file to the cache
>    ii) file_accessed() notify the cache (ours is using the LRU algorithm)
>that a file was accessed.
>
>the code is in pre-alpha stage and the data-structures needs to be
>re-written. it's very simple but it works for single files operations.
>I need help with multiple file operation. I can't find the where I the smbd
>code those operation are taking place.

metze