2nd attempt: Modify location of printerdriverfiles

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu Nov 28 10:36:59 GMT 2002

That would change nearly nothnig, because the printer drivers will be
copyed in the same structure on the client and there you will find the
same naming problem.

It is a known windows problem (just faces some day ago with drivers for
2 HP laser printers on a windows 98 :-/)

If the Printer Manufacturer tell you so she is both right an wrong.

Right it is an OS problem, A windows OS problem.

Wrong the manufacter must know this issue and try not to make drivers
with overlapping names.

However you may try just a workaround. If any of your clients will use
only one printer, you may try some symlink + macro expansion tricks to
use different directories, but it may not work or corrupt badly your
printer settings and prnting related tdb file, so at your own risk:

- you may use a macro expansion on the print$ share path and then make a
number of directories that match that macro expansion

eg:
path = /usr/share/samba/%G/drivers

and have a pool of printers per group or other parameter.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399